My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'd like the change the world, but mostly I live inside my own head. Here are some of the things I think about.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Bono and Microlending

On the bus some guy was reading a story about Bono's "Red" brand effort. I thought of how I came up with this whole scheme of suggesting he sell of limited edition CD versions of old U2 3-paks on ebay (useless now as I think they're on iTunes). I thought of how I came up with all kinds of auctions he might do, as well as thinking he should set up factories in Africa to make products for him (CDs, whatever) so that he would have a direct hand in employing people there.

Then I thought of microlending again. And I thought of how he, Bono, could go across the country and talk to towns and Rotary Clubs and such about putting together monthly deposits for microloans for Africa. Keep it to $70 and under for the clubs; $500 or less for the towns. (Pick towns with actual economies; maybe pick a number they must be bigger than - say 20 thousand.) I thought: He should talk to the White House! What would be a better example than to have the White House collecting for a monthly microloan or putting up the money for multiple microloans each month? I thought about Pierre Omidyar (I know that's wrong) of ebay and his microlending project and wondered if people could invest in it somehow, of give money to it to help with the project. I thought to myself: With all the microlending going on, why isn't the subcontinent awash in money? Where is all the money going? How many projects are there? How long does it take to set one up? How do they investigate them? What do they do?

I wonder if you have to be an economist or business manager to help out with that stuff. I wish I liked to learn by reading. I should ask the cute girl at work about it, see what she knows and whether she can explain the process to me.

Maybe I can look up some.
Some.
:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home