My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'd like the change the world, but mostly I live inside my own head. Here are some of the things I think about.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Downtown Art Display

There's going to be an Armenian Holocaust Museum around the corner from my office. I looked it up; it's supposed to open at 14th and G Streets, NW. But for right now, the space is empty and the bottom floor, which used to be a shoe store, looks awful.

There used to be an art display there. Some program in the Washington area had made a deal with whomever owned the property to display art from local artists in what were the shoe display windows. It was a really great idea, even if the art was never very good. (Admittedly I didn't see a lot of it but I wasn't real impressed. )

If the space is going to be a museum anyway, and/or they're not doing a lot with the outside (or bottom floor) (right now), why don't they start up that program again? It makes a real difference on a city street, especially downtown, and it could provide some serious exposure for local artists. There are two major hotels on that street and even if people don't walk up 14th from them, there are lots of people from local businesses that cross at that corner every day while going to lunch or on some other errand.

Hey! - maybe you can even get a tax break! Come on! Do something with the space while you're waiting to fix it up. Don't leave it as an eyesore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home