My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'd like the change the world, but mostly I live inside my own head. Here are some of the things I think about.

Monday, November 11, 2013

OFA Website

Organizing for America should have daily action links based on Daily Show and Colbert Report segments the night before. Often I get riled up and pissed off about the things they say about the government, but the next day there's a new show, a new outrage and it's all forgotten. 

So what could be done to turn this outrage into action? Well, I think if Organizing for America wants to really harness the young people in this country and show them that people power does work, then I think they ought to connect their interests to engaging in the political process.

I think the best thing - okay, the thing I'd prefer to happen - would be to create printable postcards and letters to send to Congress OR - even better - to constituents in other parts of the country. Buy the Republican election rolls and mail those people letters. 

==

But here's something close to home that OFA could do to demonstrate people power (and their own power). Create a movement to "flood the zone" of South Side Chicago where gun murders happen in an effort to cut down on those murders. Put people in and on the streets. Open a youth center and bring in people to tutor and mentor kids. Organize sports teams and have games. The point being: if you want to be taken seriously, demonstrate what you can do in your backyard. It's about organizing; it's about motivation; it's about societal change. So let's see what you've got.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home